I am happy to announce the upcoming publication by the American Bar Association of our new book, Locked Down: Information Security for Lawyers. Written with our friend and colleague, noted litigator and infosec expert Dave Ries, we hope this is a practical guide for lawyers in firms of all sizes.
We talk about how to:
- Create secure passwords--and store them safely
- Assess the existing security risks at your firm
- Protect your mobile devices from theft
- Encrypt your data
- Secure your wired or wireless network
- Effectively wipe data from a hard drive before disposal
- Develop an information security exit checklist for departing lawyers and staff
- Investigate, contain, and recover from a security breach
As you can imagine, there is much, much more - including some stories about real life data breaches that may convince you that your law firm may indeed be at risk. Lawyers are slowly losing the "it can't happen here" mentality that was always an illusion. Even a small firm take can take reasonable steps to protect its client data.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 703-359-0700