Sadly, it comes as no surprise that state-sponsored cyberattacks are on the rise and now constitute 19% of cyberattacks.
Verizon's 2013 Data Breach Report is based on 19 global businesses, their attacks, forensics and reporting agencies. The report highlights 47,000 reported security incidents and 621 confirmed data breaches.
How do they determine that attacks are state-sponsored? Primarily by known tactics, indicators of the data sought and malware signatures.
Other highlights of the report:
- 37 percent of breaches hit financial organizations;
- 24 percent of breaches happened in retail and restaurants;
- 20 percent of network intrusions involved manufacturing, transportation and utilities;
- 38 percent of breaches were aimed at large companies; and
- 92 percent of breaches were perpetrated by outsiders
There is much to digest in the report, which may be downloaded here.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 703-359-0700